Carol Ann, Free cysteine is toxic (Meister, 1984; Baruchel et
at., 1996) and is poorly absorbed and transported. Another form N-
acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) is an amine protected version of
cysteine. It is rapidly hydrolyzed in the body to cysteine and it
has a vey short half-life. Not before some gets into the liver
and this small percentage is indeed used by the liver.

But because the rest of the free cysteine is a toxin at the
decent doses required regularly, outside of an emergency life-
saving situation such as acetaminophen overdose it's not a good
drug, and it's not a health supplement.  Overall it's not
particularly beneficial because of the toxin
load trade-off.

That's why I recommend undenatured whey for glutathione increase.
The ALA is useful with the Whey.

Duncan