Something I haven;t heard mentioned yet is that we live in a veritable cloud
of yeast. Actually that may be a bit of an overstatement but yeast is
everywhere, floating freely in the air and landing on all the food we eat. So
we are never going to rid ourselves of wild yeast because we ingest it with
every bite of food we take.

One of the interesting properties of yeast overgrowth is that it causes us to
crave sweets and things like pasta, bred, and other grain products. I guess
this isn't surprising since it is the carbohydrates in these foods which the
yeast needs to thrive and multiply.

Something I only recently learned however, is that in addition to the
naturally occurring yeasts which are one of the primary forces in
decomposition, and therefore important in maintaining the balance of nature.
There is now and has been for several years a genetically engineered and
patented yeast. It was developed for the wine industry. There is currently no
labeling required for this particular form of GMO (Genetically Modified
Organism).

It has long been known that yeast gives off numerous byproducts during its
life cycle, which is basically just eating other things, some of these
byproducts are benign, some of them are mildly toxic, causing things like
flatulence and bloating, and some of them are highly toxic. These byproducts
of the yeast life cycle vary from one strain to another. At this time (to the
best of my knowledge) there is no clear evidence of just what the byproducts
given off by this new genetically engineered yeast may be or how toxic or
benign they may be to humans. Likewise it is unknown just what effect this GE
yeast will have on the natural wild yeasts.

the following quote came from:
http://www.ecologycenter.org/terrain/article.php?id=13547

Genetics Professor Emeritus Joe Cummings, from the University of Western
Ontario, writes in Sustainable Agriculture,

"The United States Food and Drug Administration, in 2003, designated the
genetically engineered yeast 'Saccharomyces cerevisae, strain ML01' to be a
substance generally recognized as safe; [and] [t]he GM wine yeast did not
appear to have been tested for toxicity in animal feeding experiments, nor
was the must (the grape residue) [or] finished wine. The FDA review seemed to
be based on faith rather than on science."  I have edited the punctuation and
capitalization for clarity.

What this new GE yeast does is combine the actions which had previously taken
two separate organisms and possibly other additives to accomplish and puts it
all into one new GMO.

I doubt that this will help anyone with their yeast infection. I just thought
it might give people a little more to think about when pondering the issues
surrounding yeast.
--
L T R
Registered linux user # 280295