On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:05:44PM -0300, Lúcio de Souza Coelho wrote:

> It seems that you are trying to equal all rare elements to gold -

No, I'm trying to point out you're extrapolating future demands
from the demands of a primitive society, us. This is guaranteed
to produce wildly inaccurate results. If anything, the most important
material is carbon, and nonmetals. Everything else is up
for preparative transmutation.

> i.e., something that is valuable just because it is rare - but
> unfortunately that does not seems to be the case. Platinum for
> instance has a lot of industrial applications, including the use as a

I know, I've got a degree in chemistry.

> catalyst in fuel cells, and in fact its price has been skyrocketing in
> past years due to increased demand. (As is the case with many metallic
> commodities.)

How much metal is in your body, apart from CHNOPS? How much transition
metals do you need for a mechanosynthesis rig, fractionally?

> Unless you know of some reserve of pure metal alloy buried under the
> regolith, there will always be some raw materials that are of easier
> exploration in asteroids than by processing zillions of tonnes of
> regolith - and that adds "distance" in commercial terms. Also, there
> are a few asteroids that are even closer to us in terms of delta v

Yes? Really? I would like to know which (I don't disagree, I would just
want to have a list). How about pingpong latency? 2 s is hard to beat.

> than the Moon - the gravity well of our neighboring world is not
> exactly shallow.

The point is that linear motor can easily achieve escape velocity,
and you can deorbit the packets by aerobraking, and land them
precisely using purely passive guidance.