On 6/15/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(...)
Also, simply crashing an asteroid onto the planet will
vaporize all the ore and scatter it for dozens of
kilometers in every direction.
(...)

I talked about a controlled crash, where dispersion and vaporization
would tend to be minimized. I don't think it is impossible, for we
have seen a great number of metallic meteors hitting the ground and
still remaining relatively preserved. And that in uncontrolled
conditions...

By the way, although I ultimately agree with you that mining the Moon
is difficult (it is the "slag pile of Solar System", using Zubrin's
words), I wouldn't discard the possibility that some crater bottoms
have high concentrations of many minerals - specially metals. Remnants
of the asteroid impacts that created them. However, so far this is
just a conjecture, while in the case of asteroids we already have a
wealth of data supporting the view that mining them will be much
easier.