When you talk about "uploading" are you referring to creating a copy of your
consciousness?  If that's the case then what do you do after uploading,
continue on with a mediocre existence while your cyber-duplicate shoots past
you?  Sure, it would have all of those wonderful abilities you mention, but
you would not.  I'd much rather find a way to transfer my consciousness
completely to synthetic substrate.  I hope I'm just misunderstanding things
because that sounds horrible.

On 6/25/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Nathan Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't wish to retread old arguments, but there are a few theoretical
outs.
> One could be uploaded bit by bit, one neuron at a time if necessary. One
> could be rendered unconscious, frozen, and scanned. I would find this
> frightening, but preferable to regaining consciousness while a separate
> instance of me was running. You beg the question when you ask if I would
> 'kill myself' if a perfect copy existed. If the copy were perfect, it
would
> kill itself as well. If the copy were not perfect, I think I'd be
entitled
> to declare myself a different entity.

I think people will put these issues aside and choose to upload, even if
the
copy isn't perfect.  Imagine when your friend says to you, "How do you
like my
new robotic body?  I am 20 years old again.  I can jump 10 feet in the
air.  I
can run 40 MPH.  I can see in the infrared and ultraviolet.  With my new
brain
I can multiply 1000 digit numbers in my head instantly.  I can read a book
in
one minute and recall every word.  I have a built in wireless internet
connection.  While I am talking to you I can also mentally talk to 1000
other
people by phone or email and give my full attention to everyone
simultaneously.   With other uploaded people I can communicate a million
times
faster than speaking, see through their eyes, feel what they feel, and
share
my senses with them too, even across continents.  Every day I discover new
powers.  It's just amazing."

Are you ready to upload now?

And then the "original" friend walks in...

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;