On Saturday 26 January 2008, Vladimir Nesov wrote:
> I guess limitation of biological substrate are too strict, and there
> is not much to hope for from this side. Maybe we'd be able to
> construct a genetically engineered scientist with huge brain that
> will develop AGI, before cracking this problem ourselves ;-)

No, you're missing the point. A while back on SL4, maybe years ago,
somebody said "I am an ai" and that we are already intelligences, and
therefore we just need to focus on (1) how to recursively improve our
own intelligences and (2) finding the theoretical basis for our own
intelligence in the first place. The biological substrate isn't strict
at all, look at what we are able to do. Once we can harvest and capture
what evolution has already learned, well, we can start going faster.

- Bryan