I would think an investor would want a believable specific answer to the
following question:

"When and how will I get my money back?"

It can be uncertain (risk is part of the game), but you can't just wave your
hands around on that point.  As to why sympathetic rich people are apparently
not willing to toss this consideration aside, it doesn't make much sense to me
unless they simply don't think specific approaches are feasible -- although
there's also a disconnect between sympathies and checkbooks, which is why we
have cliche phrases like "put your money where your mouth is" and "talk is
cheap".