Andreas,

The catchall response for this is 400. If the uri is syntactically
invalid (which is the case if the user part contains #) then you are
justified in returning that response. But IMO that is over zealous.

If you are just a pass-through (a proxy or a B2BUA that doesn't care
about this) then I think I would just ignore it.

If you are the intended recipient, or are say a proxy authoritative for
the domain of the URI that is expected to route based on the user part,
and the user part isn't acceptable to you, then the 404 response seems
appropriate to me. In that case it makes little difference if the user
part has a syntactically invalid character, or has a value that
syntactically valid but is semantically invalid to you.

        Paul