DNS is really the root cause of most people's problems with sipX...

Follow the wiki...
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/SipX_Start_Here

Actually work through each step.  They are actually all there for a
reason.

Pay particular attention to setting up DNS and TESTING DNS:
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/DNS_Configuration

Both DNS and DHCP are core network concepts and it floors me how many
people (network admins specifically) don't understand these services.
Spend some time with them and learn how they work...  You'll be
surprised how many 'slow network' problems and other issues you can
solve.

Mike

DHCP
> & NTP. But you ought to learn how to administer them in Linux first
> before trying to make it a production system.
>
> Trying to route calls or users through the WAN port of a Linksys
router
> for SIP is a bad idea.
>
> Get your feet wet like Mike suggests. If you are a Linux newbie, try
> getting webmin (http://www.webmin.com) on it to have insight to DHCP,
> DNS & NTP.
>
> Tony
> I am not sure I know how to do all that with dns, dhcp as that seemed
> like
> the harder route.  isn't that bad to  have two dhcp machines on your
> network
> as my linksys is doing dhcp?  Iam pretty sure I can turn dhcp off on
> the
> linksys but if I do that, and sipx is assigning ip addresses, will my
> network still work properly.  Doesn't the linksys have to have an
> subnet
> ip
> of 192.168.1.1, how will it get this address if sipx is the dhcp.
>
> It would ROCK if the sipx setup tutorial actually told you to
> 1. step 1, turn off router's dhcp addressing if you have linksys etc.
> and
> what the configuration is(as in any router, I think we can find the
> settings).
>
> I guess I will try turning off dhcp and see if it just works and try
it
> out.
> thx,
> dean
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:43 AM, Picher, Michael
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
> >  Back up the train...
> >

> > Why don't you lab this thing on some private addressing on a regular
> > network...  you have my head spinning here with yours, and your
friends
> and
> > you both have things in dmz's.
> >

> > Walk before you run.  Stay away from nats, dns mess and firewalls
> until you
> > know you have a working solution.  Follow the wiki, use dns/dhcp off
> of the
> > pbx and make a system work first...  then you can throw twists at it
> once you
> > understand it a little better...
> >

> > Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED],