Bill Bennett wrote:

It's a peculiar request, so please bear with me.

I had been asked why Linux was immune to the wave of viruses
that have been pillaging Microsoft-oriented machines. To be
honest, I didn't have a ready reply. The best I could do was
"Well, Linux is differently organised." Feeble, I know, but the
enquirer was not a nurd and, if it comes to that, neither am I.

So I thought about the matter. I wanted a good analogy.

This was the best that came to mind:

"Assume someone has put something in your petrol that rots
piston heads and only piston heads. Eventually the engine
will fail.

*However* it's not going to affect me if my engine is a Wenkel."

Perhaps, if they know what on earth a Wenkel is ;-)

Continuing the automotive theme... Perhaps 'because you can't get a leaded petrol bowser to fit into an unleaded[1] vehicle'. The virii are designed to attack MS systems (mostly) not UNIX/Linux ones.

[1] unleaded being the choice for the Linux OS as it wont cause "learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and, at very high levels, seizures, coma, and even death" (http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/about/about.htm) like the MS alternative :-)

cheers,
Brad