My take...

1: There are more WinXX exploits because there are more WinXX systems out
there.

This doesn't hold up. Recent figures I saw mentioned the figure of 64000
known windows exploits or viruses etc., many of which are non-trivial. On
that basis there should be about 2000 Macintosh exploits etc around. In
fact there are dramatically fewer than that, as any Mac user will tell
you. I'm not aware of any significant, current Mac virus. I don't know how
many Linux exploits/viruses are around, but again, dramatically fewer than
the proportions should suggest. I've been on-line 24/7 for nearly 8 years
and I've been cracked once, and that about 6 years ago. I am NOT a hard
core geek. I just do basic installs.

2: Linux users are hard core geeks, that's why they don't get viruses.

Doesn't hold up either. See note above about Macintosh! If any computer
user is NOT a hard core geek it's a Mac user :-)

3: Windows exploits are only because of idiot windows users

I'm sure GMH would be sued if it turned out the brakes required an
automotive engineering degree before you could drive the car. It's
perfectly reasonable to expect a system to be designed so that a typical
user will not get burned.

4: Windows viruses are mostly Outlook viruses

True. I always tell any Windows user to start by throwing away Outlook.
That solves most of the problems. Eudora seems to work ok, although of
course you can still get viruses if you do "the wrong thing".

5: Windows viruses can be easily avoided by changing configuration

True, but when the marketing department leads the security department
around by the nose, you can be sure that disaster is close behind. If
there is a choice of more secure or less secure configurations, and the
default set up by the supplier is the insecure one, then I would suggest
that the supplier is culpable. I'm amazed nobody has sued. It's not as if
the problem is an obscure one.

6: I can't change from Windows.. everybody I know uses it.

This is amazing but the most common reason I've been given for staying
with Windows when viruses are discussed. I've survived perfectly well in a
mixed Linux/Macintosh environment for years, despite all my customers and
contacts using Windows. I just laugh when they get infected.

7: Are you SURE you don't get viruses?

When you've been chronically sick for 10 years, it's hard to remember what
it was like to be healthy. I just tell them "no, I never get viruses".

8: The problem isn't really as bad as they say it is.

I love to tail -f my logs when I have someone around saying this. It's
interesting to see the look of incredulity as the various IIS or other
WinXX exploits pop up on the logs in real time. I just say..

"There's another one I don't have to worry about because I don't use
Windows".

David.