Quoting Rick Welykochy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

You haven't explained why Australia in particular needs
a Linux distro.

Well, we haven't got a single one that I know of for a
start... :-(

That is a little dissappointing...

beyond that.. there appears to be a niche within small
IT companies for a Server product that can do the
following:

 - boot up and install quickly (<5 mins)

 - provide file sharing, and maybe CMS

 - call *designated-support-firm* and setup a
   VPN link so *support-firm* can RDP or VNC and fix
   things on any of the machines (extra cost)

 - have some sort of backup facilities or
   service.

 - compete with the redmond server product

So it is a little different than a "distro" per se.

When I speak to small computer firms, most say that
small businesses would pay them $500 per year for
such a facility.

I am sure many of us on the list (me included) can vouch
for many successful deployments of, say, Debian-based
systems without the need for a local distro.

Yes. Debian rules..

but it isn't so easy to setup unless you go for knoppix
or ubuntu.

I would say that I would be challenged if asked to setup
debian from scratch on a new machine with samba and
networking all running if i had a $500 budget.

but I do know having something based on a live-cd that
is all pre-prepared is viable.

Regards

David