Quoting Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Quoting Rick Welykochy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> You haven't explained why Australia in particular needs
> a Linux distro.

Well, we haven't got a single one that I know of for a
start... :-(

That is a little dissappointing...

No, but Canonical/Ubuntu has significant proportion of
Australian employees, theres a large number of Australians
involved with the Debain project, a large number of well
known and respected Linux kernel hackers etc etc.

Australia is doing quite well really.

Yes, absolutely true, we have lots of clever Australians.

The big problem is is that we don't develop leadership
or equity here like they do in Britain, US, Germany or
France.

I've just come back from Germany... I love working there.

Their philosophy is completely different...

They drink beer, smoke cigars and sing song....

and invite workers from surrounding countries to
come in and work at low rates to make them
wealthy.... at the end... it is the Germans
who get the credit for being "clever" and not
the workers who helped them get there..

We need to be similar and develop equity here
in Australia....

Anyway.. don't get me started on the great
Australian brain drain...

Suffice to say it is time for us to own our
own boats when it comes to technology...

Asking our young people to always row for
others as hired labour is not something I
am so comfortable with.

As older people, we need to be creating the
boats into which our young people can go
into the world and be proud to sail on...

I've worked in Germany on technology..

but I am not sure creating workers for
other countries is a good mark at doing
well...

if that is the case then the Philippines
and Indonesia are doing even better..

:-)

they create more workers than us

:-)

do we really want to keep going that way ?