<quote who="Mary Gardiner">

> I wasn't clear in my original mail: I'm more interested in how people get
> their laptop to switch mail settings between "inside horrible network" and
> "normal operation" than I am in specifically what their
> inside-horrible-network settings are, because in this particular case I
> can use the university's mail server to get mail out (and I also have an
> SSH server on my own machine listening on 443, so if I couldn't I could do
> various SSH tunneling). It's just annoying to have to remember to
> re-configure my mail client (in this case, actually Postfix, but similar
> problems apply to any client, whether full MTA or not) when I am located
> at uni, and again when I leave.

Oh!

Well, how about using multiple parameters in the postfix relayhost setting?

  relayhost =
    [usual.server.on.normal.port]:25
    [usual.server.on.submission.port]:587
    [fascist.university.server]:25

Then set up multiple entries in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd like so:

  usual.server.on.normal.port  p4ssw0rd
  fascist.university.server    p4ssw0rd

When the first one fails, it'll try the same server on a different port
(just thought I'd throw in a 25 vs. 587 mention in, because it's handy in
similar situations), then it'll try a totally different server (the one that
works when you're at a fascist network location).

Saves changing anything whenever you're somewhere new.

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2008: Portland OR, USA           http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

   I used the word 'infrastructure' when describing her cooking style...
                   and she didn't speak to me for a week.