On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:18:13 +1000
Craig Dibble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > maybe a quick and nasty shell/python/perl script to
> > change/update/swap your configuration file is what you need....
>
> Indeed.
>
> I've done it this way in the past, usually just by running the script
> manually, but you could attach it to an if-up script or even your
> .profile to work out where you are and make the changes automatically.
>
> Craig
To automate this 'script' you could build a simple smtp profile system.
Grub allows you to pass extra info to it and this is made available to
the init process in shell variable $CMDLINE.
So have a couple of entries in grub with different SMTP_profiles
( SMTP_profile=uni ) and then test for that in the init process
and trigger a script or run the necessary 'postconf -e' commands.

snippet from my grub/menu.lst

        # (0) Arch Linux
        title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]
        root   (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro SMTP_profile=uni
        initrd /kernel26.img

Results:
$CMDLINE on my system: root=/dev/sda3 ro SMTP_profile=uni

--
Regards
Mick Pollard ( lunix )