Interesting you quoted that one, notice it says Jesus prayed for Peter that his "faith might not fail" ...apparently then it could. Sure Peter messed up and repented and was used greater than before. However, it would have been a far different story had he denied Jesus and not repented of that fact.....

We must understand that this doctrine does not mean that the born again Christian will never fall into a state of sin, which would be a foolish teaching.  The astute Bible student may recall that Jesus foretold Peter’s denial of him in John 13:3, but he also told how his forgiveness, or recovery if you will, was to take place.  In Luke 22:31-32 Jesus said “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat. I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren.”

Greg Hopper

"Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they can in
prison?"