Its the same as a wireless network. In this network all the stations transmit short packets of data only when they need to. The actual bandwidth (amount of data) needed to control a model plane is very small compared to the amount you could get on one of those channels if it was running full time so there's no need to send data all the time.

A bonus is that the transmitter will consume less power.

The snag -- and its one we've not really addressed because this is one of the few outdoor applications in this band -- is that our R/C isn't the only user of the band. Wireless networks will probably suffer the most from interference (that is, they'll wait for the R/C transmitter to stop transmitting before transmitting themselves (assuming they're not an access point, that is)) but things like cordless phones may be a bit less discerning.

One thing you should bear in mind is if this stuff behaves like wireless networks then the transition from "Working Great" to "PoS" will be quite abrupt.

Martin Usher

Ed Anderson wrote:
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did not see it come through the first time and
I thought it was important.

I read elsewhere that the original DX6 transmits all the time, but the DX7 and
the rest of the DSM2 systems transmit on about a 10% duty cycle. I can't say if
that is an on demand thing and I can't verify that this is true, but this test
seems to suggest some kind of time sharing/channel sharing going on.

Ed Anderson