WiMAX uses frequencies between 2 and 11GHz but as the 2.4 and 5.2 bands
are unlicensed they're likely to get used for testing. Since spectrum is
now something you buy, sell and hoard just like any other commodity its
likely that everyone will be squeezing into what unlicensed space there
is to save having to pay toll charges to whoever's got the license this
month.

I can't imagine what "national security" issues Germany has with this
band. I know that the width of this band varies slightly by country
which is why there's been a (relatively futile) attempt to configure the
chipset drivers for use in one country or another. (Its required for
stuff sold in a country but the whole thing falls flat on its face
because people carry laptop computers around with them -- we have a
conflict between a government desire to control stuff and what happens
in real life.) There's also some conflict between the parts of 5GHz band
and certain airport approach radars (a slight SNAFU by the FCC, I
believe) that results in what could be called "the mother of all
kludges" in the drivers for 802.11a interfaces in access points. But
overall the whole reason why we're stuck in this band along with
microwave ovens and industrial equipment is that it was supposed to be
useless -- these frequencies are absorbed by water (which is why the
signal won't go through you)(but it allows you to cook things provided
they've got water in them).

Google lost out on the recent spectrum auction which was a bit sad
because what they were pushing for was blocks of spectrum that could be
used for used for open access -- unregulated applications (like ours).
They also wanted the FCC to impose a condition that the winning bidders
were required to resell spectrum at wholesale prices, the intent being
to prevent a handful of companies from grabbing the spectrum and sitting
on it to maintain a monopoly. Unfortunately we went with the 'usual
suspects' getting the spectrum so don't expect any rapid changes in
spectrum use.

Martin Usher

PS -- It wasn't the wireless network guys. The real culprits are the
mobile phone companies. Open spectrum threatens their market.