Interesting this should come up.  As CD for the 2002 NATS HL, I was planning
to allow multiple ships for the contest as I did back in 2000.  But this was
not approved as a deviation of "The" rules of AMA for the NATS.  I think in
HL multiple ships are very appropriate, reynolds numbers are low and
ballasting is very limited, so changing conditions can really eat up the
performance of a given ship (someone needs to write a rule change to this
effect so we can do it at the NATS).  But in 2M, Unlimited, RES and NOS, it
is nice to have a backup, but I feel that the rule as is is as much a
strategy thing as anything and as stated makes you pick your weapon and
modify (ballast) as it happens.

Flame suit on, as I am out of town till Thursday.

Marc