Well I guess I'll wade into to this one as a reply to Jeff and the topic in
general...

I too am fairly new to the competition scene and if anyone had told me a
couple of years ago I would spend what I have over the last 6-8 months on
planes, radios, flight packs, winch, etc. I would have called them NUTS.
However in making the change from just guiding gliders to competing I
considered the following items and the cost is not as great as I first
thought...

In the past I would buy a kit and put the thing together. I'll use my first
full house ship (Spirt 100") as an example.  By the time I had that box of
sticks glued together, all the covering on, the flight pack installed and
the initial setup programmed into the radio I figure I had invested over 80
manhours prior to the first hand toss. So between the cost of the kit,
flight pack and my time I figure that ship cost me in excess of $2,000 (at
the very least thinking this way makes it much easier to write the check for
one of those nice new moldies). Now I know that there are many out there
that really enjoy the building part of the sport and at one time I would
count myself in that number but not any more.  I have built at least 30
built up planes over the past twenty years, 20-25 foamies, and about 15
composites.  So I think I understand how to construct and fly a variety of
model sailplanes.  So at my current point along lifes trail I am no longer
interested in the building side of the hobby I just don't have the time or
energy to devote to the process (and I don't think I'm alone in this).  I
bought my first two unlimited ships off posts to RCSE in the last 6 months
(thanks again to the sellers).  One was plug in my Rx crystal and fly and
the other was install the flight pack and fly.  If I have my way this is how
I will aquire all my ships from now on. I have enjoyed these planes as much
or more than any that I built from scratch, so to speak.  I also consider
them the best values vs performance planes that I have ever owned.

So all that being said, it wouldn't bother me if the rule was changed to
allow you to change ships every round.  I doubt that there are many that
would use more than 2-3 ships at any one contest anyway since as has been
said here many times contest performance usually relates to the amount of
practice the pilot has put in with a particular ship in a variety of
conditions.  Of course blind luck can strike anyone on any given day, don't
ask how I know this, and even a rookie can take home some wood. But a basic
skill level must still be achieved in order for that luck to come into play.
  So yes this hobby is evolving and hopefully will continue to do so, and
yes the cost in both time and money involved to be among the top competitors
is high but that is the nature of the beast. I feel it is the competition
arena that brings out the need to push the envelope of performance, not just
in our sport but basically all of them. So I'm all for letting any number of
ships be used at a contest.  You still have to have a decent launch, fly the
task called, put that nose skeg on the spot, and do that better than the
next guy every round of the contest to finish on top. Without the skill to
do that on a consistent basis it doesn't matter how many ships you pull out
in the morning.

Vent finished...

Therms,

Joe Gullett