> You guys just don't get it.  Since none of you seem to realize what
someone
> who has a mind to do can accomplish using an R/C model, and especially an
> electric glider, I'll tell you. (Keith)

Thanks.

> You can easily use an electric glider as an accurate targeting
> anti-personnel weapon

With a payload capacity of less than a pound its not going to be that
effective. There's also not that much room in the fuse for that payload,
especially if you want to keep the CG within a controllable range.

Landing it on the spot when the tape's in front of you isn't that difficult
(landing on time -- well....). Its a lot more difficult to hit a remote
target.......try going through a soccer goal that's a hundred yards away and
see how well you do. The only way I could hit a "high value target" is if it
were acting as my timer.

>There are tiny, highly
> accurate, gps-based autopilot systems designed to be used with R/C gear
that
> are easily available for purchase from several vendors that would make
> getting the model on a fixed target fairly easy.

Your're getting stuff confused. GPS, the GPS that we can buy, has a rather
low update rate. It only updates once per second, too slow to do precision
targeting. You need to combine it with some quality inertial guidance kit.
The autopilots sold by FMA are optical wing levellers, not inertial guidance
systems.

I'm not saying that this kit is impossible to own, its just not over the
counter at the moment. If it were then we'd have a major problem with
Thermal Duration contests -- its bad enough having gyros keeping the planes
on line during the approach, the last thing we want is something that can
precisely autoland the planes for us.

To quote one of your presidents -- "The only thing you have to fear is fear
itself". Yes, keep your eyes and ears open, but also keep a sense of
proportion.

Martin Usher

(BTW -- You might find a visit to Israel interesting -- its full of people
trying to live ordinary, everyday, lives in a society that's got what could
be the worst-case in day to day terror threats. The locals don't seem that
paranoid.)