> This converter uses an DB-9 based serial device,

It's a trivial thing in one sense...but surely this should be DE-9.
I've never seen a DB-9 and doubt they exist; what's commonly miscalled
a DB-9 is actually a DE-9.  The letter after the D indicates the shell
size, and the DB shell is the 25-pin size.  (The other sizes: DA is the
15-pin size used for peecee game ports and AUI Ethernet; DC is a 37-pin
size that isn't used for much in my experience; DD is the three-row
50-pin size used for SCSI by the Sun-3s.  I'm sure each has plenty of
other uses, too.  I don't know why the letters aren't in order; I
speculate the DE size was an afterthought.)

Not that this is a reflection on you; it's a very common mistake - even
many vendors of D-shell hardware make it, and I used to make it myself
until I got the terminology straight in my head.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               [EMAIL PROTECTED]