On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 06:19:21PM +0200, jacco wrote:
[...]
> Here's my dmesg output, booting OpenBSD on the soekris:
[...]
> usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0: Compaq OHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
[...]

Was that before or after attaching the USB dongle? If before,
connect it, wait a few seconds, and then recheck the end of your
dmesg buffer. I think a reference to the device should show up
(though it's been a while since I played with one). Something like
(this example would be one using a PL-2303 series controller chip):

uplcom0 at uhub0 port 2
uplcom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
ucom0 at uplcom0

The ucom driver (see its manpage) is the primary (only?) kernel
driver with which to interact with USB serial ports from the /dev
filesystem. Per that manpage, you'll be wanting to attach to
something like cuaU0 or ttyU0 ('U' for "USB"), assuming your
hardware is actually supported. The SYNOPSIS section of the manpage
also lists the hardware drivers for the various supported devices
which might provide ucom interfaces, one of which you'll hopefully
see in place of my uplcom example above.

If the dmesg output you provided was well after attaching the
device, then it might simply not be supported by the OpenBSD release
you're running, or the necessary driver could be disabled by default
in the GENERIC kernel (often the case with known-buggy/developmental
drivers). Check the KERNEL MODIFICATION section of the "config"
manpage for instructions on checking and enabling drivers (though
keep in mind they're usually not disabled without good reason).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP([EMAIL PROTECTED]); IRC([EMAIL PROTECTED]); ICQ(114362511);