On 2015-10-19, Dan Shechter <dans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:26 AM,  <ck+soekrist...@bl4ckb0x.de> wrote:
>>> Jerome Ibanes <jiba...@gmail.com> hat am 19. Oktober 2015 um 01:09
>>> geschrieben:
>>> Does anyone has experience with Supermicro SYS-5018A-FTN4?
>>>
>>> Specs: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5018/SYS-5018A-FTN4.cfm
>>> Quote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101837
>>>
>>> The quality is certainly not comparable to what we've seen from
>>> Soekris, but this seems to be an acceptable solution for the price.
>>
>> I am using one of them and pretty happy. IMHO it's a good Soekris
>> replacement.
>
> What about Serial console, especially for the BIOS?
>
> -Dan

They have a BIOS option to set them to use serial console, it's not active
by default so you need to plug in a keyboard or use IPMI for initial setup.

Watch out for IPMI on these. This usually *is* enabled by default, setup with
a common default admin password, and to share the first main NIC if nothing's
connected to the management port, leaving access to the console/power/etc a
lot wider open than you probably want.