Christopher Sean Hilton <ch...@vindaloo.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:28:27PM +0200, Iustin Pop wrote:
>
>> Given that just the Atom processor on the Supermicro has a TDP of 20W, I
>> doubt that the whole system is not significantly more. Otherwise, why
>> would they ship with a *200W* PSU?
>
> That's the same processor that was in the proposed Net6801-70 (Atom
> C2758) Note well that the Net6801-70 is listed as system power between
> 9W Idle and 31W active: http://beta.soekris.net/net6801.html. I'm not
> sure that TDP is a good indicator of the power that the CPU uses.
>
> In my case I took the precaution of running my SuperMicro box on a
> Watt Meter for a couple of weeks. It averaged 25W. The processor TDP
> is 13W and the power supply is a 200W unit. My box has 4GB of RAM and
> 2.5" form factor 64GB SSD. My Soekris Net6501-50 with the same hard
> drive averages 18W on the same watt meter.
>
> I suspect the 200W on the power supply is the maximum it can supply
> and that it's the smallest power supply that SuperMicro has.

Presumably you are using a 110V input?  (and I wonder if a Kill-A-Watt?)

I have a net5501 (with 40G PATA spinning disk) that I run on 12V, from
several AGM batteries and a float supply.  I find that it draws 0.5A at
12-13V, which is about 6W.  However, if I fed it 6V instead, it would
draw the same 0.5A and be about 3W.

I know the net6501 runs on 12V (or really enough about 5V to make the
regulator work) as well, and that's attractive.  Are there options for
the supermicro, or anything else, for 12V, other than a regular
inverter?