On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Christoph Muetze <c...@glarestudios.de> wrote:
> ...He didn't just do the skin but also the functional design of the user
> interface, right? I was always under the impression that he was the designer
> behind the UI. Am i wrong about this?
>
> I always have a hard time explaining people that i do interface design - and
> that sometimes includes (but is entirely not about) button painting ;) I
> couldn't care less about the (admittedly beautiful) skin of Softimage - but
> the UI... oh boy, that's (for the largest part) a piece of true art.

No, he only did the look and skin of the UI. In an interview on
xsibase, it was implied he did "ui design" but this is wrong, it was
only graphic design.

For the functional design, we had at many people in the early days who
designed that.

They were called  Program Managers, which is how that job was called
at Microsoft in the 1990s, but in this decade we'd call them
interaction designers. For example, one person from Softimage|DS
called Michael Sheasby
(http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Michael_C_Sheasby_1.html) is
responsible for all the "modeless inspector" design, i.e. everything
about how the PPGs work, without which XSI wouldn't feel like XSI.
There were different people for each areas.