Thx Alan, I knew about the render region, and I'm not surprised of the toon and
quick stretch ones either.
What I really wonder is: how could any developer these days write commercial software and
hope not to infringe any patents by accident? It's a total minefield, let alone
financially prohibitive due to cost of patent research. Heck, I hear even the progress
bar is, or was until recently, patented! It's coming to a point where it's getting
impossible for small companies and individuals to develop anything commercially. And
that's not a problem in a land far far away. It already affects my daily work, as
illustrated by the lack of decent hair modeling solutions for Soft other than that Shave
version from stone age. Peregin's Yeti cannot be sold in America due to legal dispute
with Joe Alter, and I believe that other "hair mesh modeling" tech is also
Patented by Cem Yuksel (Hair Farm), and I doubt he has plans to port it to Softimage
himself.
Patents are to protect those who take risks and invest in research and
development, I understand that, but I feel it's getting to a point where it
does more harm than good. They simply remain effective for too long, anything
longer than 5 years is a lifetime in software development.

All one can do is either not write software or just don't give a fuck, close
his eyes and push forward in hope that nobody sues his ass off. Did I miss
anything?

Softimage has a bunch of patents actually.

Render region:
http://www.google.com/patents
?id=1k8EAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=avid%20technology%20render&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false

XSI's QuickStretch deformer:
http://www.google.com/patents
?id=NxcgAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=softimage&pg=PA2#v=onepage&q&f=false

There's a few more, including one for toon shading:
https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee:%22Softimage%22

Oh, and Avid appears to have a patent on editing f-curves in 2D space:
https://www.google.com/patents/WO2000063847A1?cl=en&dq=avid+softimage&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a4cTUrOxC46g4AP7p4HYCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA