Softimage has a bunch of patents actually.

Render region:
http://www.google.com/patents
?id=1k8EAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=avid%20technology%20render&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false

XSI's QuickStretch deformer:
http://www.google.com/patents
?id=NxcgAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=softimage&pg=PA2#v=onepage&q&f=false

There's a few more, including one for toon shading:
https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee:%22Softimage%22

Oh, and Avid appears to have a patent on editing f-curves in 2D space:
https://www.google.com/patents/WO2000063847A1?cl=en&dq=avid+softimage&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a4cTUrOxC46g4AP7p4HYCA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA