They simplified considerably the problem in Maya DX11: they created one big
"uber" realtime shader that does offers all the parameters but it's a black
box.  You can't render it in mental ray or anything else.

On the Softimage side, the high quality viewport's goal (let's avoid
debating for now whether that was a good goal) was to support any arbitrary
render tree and the mental ray shaders, and then it uses of course metaSL
to compile that, etc. You continue to use the render tree as you're used
to.  And then you pop open the render region and boom, you have same
results raytraced.

I'm not familiar enough with the OpenGL realtime shader SDK in XSI to tell
if one could write a realtime shader to access use the OpenGL 4.0
tesselation support, but that would be somewhere to look at instead of
DX11, unless you actually need DX11 authoring for a game

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Tim Crowson <tim.crow...@magneticdreams.com