I completely agree with this. However I would like to add that any lack of
performance regarding high object count is probably less an issue with the 3D
app  than an inherent processing limitation within most high end graphics
systems.

We see this same behavior in other applications including very expensive high
end simulation software. At a basic level what most apps appear to be doing at
each iteration, frame change, camera viewport change, other update, etc is
cycling through each root level object and checking for updates or mods that
need to be applied per the methodology within that application. One way you
could think about this is that it starts at the top of the explorer(outliner in
maya) and repetitively cycles through the explorer  list over and over and over
applying updates as it goes and as needed.

We have scenes, simulations, and scenarios where we have processed hundreds of
thousands of aircraft for example and these kinds of simulations can bring the
most powerful computers to their knees even though each individual object is as
simple as possible. It's been my personal opinion that the operating system and
how it breaks things down for processing between core and interface may also be
part of the issue. I've often wondered if it was an integer vs floating point
issue. Even more shocking was that we often saw the same results on SGI and
Windows simultaneously back when we were still using those beasts.

One of our simulation software for example had a special flag that turned off
the interface refresh and we would get all the performance back. They also
provided us a special object container that acted like a mini scenario holding
hundreds of thousands of objects within a root level multi-object. When using
this special multi-object performance never skipped a beat but getting access
to or from the objects within the root object was no longer as direct. The
point being that if you have unreasonably high object counts, you might be able
to break your scene down into a handful of Models with the objects distributed
under the Models. I've never tried this with Soft and don't know if this would
significantly affect Soft's performance, but it might be worth a shot.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES)