You are probably right. But these times are a little bit different and
maybe that's exactly the one chance inside all this mess. We're all sitting
in the same boat at the same time. I know a lot of studios who entirely
rely on Softimage for lighting. All of these will have to spend time and
thus money to move on to another pipeline during the next two years anyway.
So why not invest at least parts of this time into the same thing?
Individuals are great, and the community should absolutely try. But it's so
hard to put something like this together in your spare time. A few studios
supporting and profiting from this effort would accelerate the whole
process immensely. And about showing potential: wasn't Stage, and all the
other fabric applications build for exactly this reason? To show the
potential of such a project?