Comparing Maya and Softimage jobs/projects I worked on for the last 10-15 yrs,
I would come to the conclusion that I worked on many "almost vanilla install"
Softimage projects while the Maya projects involved a significantly higher
amount
of using scripted extensions and plug-in functionality.

That may boil down to the Softimage projects I was involved in being more from
the commercials side of jobs while the Maya projects where often incorporating
bigger teams or bigger promises made in advance.

Currently, I´m on a Maya centric project, myself doing all the modeling in
Softimage, creating assets and handing them off into the Maya pipeline.

The reason I´m modeling in Softimage today is the 3D Love Tour and the home
access
to XSI Foundation this gave me back then. I will miss modeling in Softimage
(2014sp2).

Maya is not on par with Softimage in terms of fluidly modeling in my opinion.
A co-worker is biased heavily towards C4D and I´m impressed with it´s potential.

Personally, I haven´t decided where to lean to but am grateful for the heads-up
and license conversion options offered by Autodesk.

As a freelancer, I have learned not to expect being treated as part of the
family,
moving on is part of the job and am transfering this to the choice of my tools.

I´ll see what´s out there and what comes next.

All the best,

tim