I understand the two OS being a plus.
Although purely based on the widely known game engines around ( Unity and
UDK ), they both using FBX as primary import ( not Maya own format specific
to Unity ), so wheter you're using Max/Maya/Softimage it wont make much
difference, because all of them supports FBX export with baking options.
You still rely on videotutorials on how to get content from
Maya/Softimage/Max to Unity, and again you're using FBX, so unless you'll
develop something like Houdini engine already does the pipeline for content
export is still the same on all 3 of them.

Is still nosense keep asking myself the same question, but again the good
old Softimage Mod Tool was specifically designed to create games, was free
of charge ( for non commercial ) and, if continued/evolved by AD, could've
be one of the most powerfull ( and not so costly ) tool for game
development, maybe with the addition of Facerobot but without ICE ( if you
want to compare it to MayaLT without MEL script )

Too bad that AD kept showing Softimage just as a VFX Addon instead of
pushing this software for game development...