You can turn on the labels for the Maya shelf in the shelf editor (in
its Option menu)  but the point is, the shelf, or toolbar in general,
are quick shortcuts to things that are the menu, so having to decipher
them is not an issue. The shelf is fun and made to play around.  You
can tear off a menu to get a quick toolbar for one-click access to
menu commands.  The only maya thing doesn't do correctly in that area
is it's not showing you the shelf icon next to the menu item to help
users learn that these two things are the same, which might be leading
some of you to believe that these are different.  Now about the
wonderfulness of text labels, I have no clue what a QuadChamfer is and
if there is an ointment for that. :P