Isolate is not the same as hidden.

Isolate tells a viewport what to draw.  Hiding an object tells Softimage
whether to evaluate it or not (in most cases).

A couple tips to speed things up:

-          Hide cameras and anything not needed

-          Use a single viewport

-          Close floating views.  Especially FCurve, Schematic, or other data
heavy views

-          Solo the viewport you are working in, and maximize it.

-          Single screen layout (such as default layout).

-          Freeze construction history of objects

-          If using referenced models, inspect the deltas for excessive
recorded edits.

-          Inspect scene for CPU hogging operators such as tangents operator,
ICE topology, …

-          Turn off excessive displays such as statistics.

-          Activate coarse display

-          Turn off HQV

-          Set shading to something light

-          Turn off unnecessary displays such as wireframe on shaded, ghosting,
normals, etc…

-          Put things in hierarchies.

-          Minimize use of parameter overrides

-          Minimize number of layers

-          Reduce undo history size

-          Remove projects/workgroups on remote drives from your project
manager/plugin manager respectively.

-          Make sure all assets are local to your computer

-          Turn off events running in the background

-          Activate ‘compositing’ (eg; necessary component of Aero) in your
windows preferences under the performance section

I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what comes off the top of my head.

Matt