That certainly holds true if you intend to do any plugin development.
For all the pipeline / glew / build code you will still need to operate
within Maya Python unfortunately.

Otherwise the Python implementation in Maya is very straight forward but
you have to make your piece with the fact that it is not OOP (not
considering PyMel).
So without any custom involvement on your end it's basically just
functional programming with logs of string manipulation.
On the bright side Maya's command module is pretty substantial in terms of
its breadth and depth so you have little limitations in terms of what you
can do.

If you want to get back some OOP sanity then you're welcome to try PyMel
although it has it's own issues and quirks.
I've ended up writing my own wrapper that covers 90% of my use cases.

--
Technical Director @ DreamWorks Animation