Python in Maya is generally a good deal faster, at least through OpenMaya.
That's largely due to the fact that it's a fairly 1:1 wrap (SWIG on headers
I believe) of the C++ API.
Sadly, you pay a price for that in how you have to write it, which is a
crapload of explicitly typed work that clashes with pythonic style a lot,
and you do bump into an unholy amount of unimplemented methods that really,
really should have been offered.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!