Depends on what type work Leendert plans to do.  Personally I'm quite
happy with it for crafting scripts and bulding UI either with commands
or Qt.  I did hit a a few walls where a C++ API wasn't wrapped and
eventually couldn't be called at al - it was doing an image conversion
with MImage in my case.  Something I wouldn't have thought to attempt
in XSI anyway (there is no such API).

I'm a little skeptical of a python book on the subject - I've always
been disappointed by them.  Python is python.  Mel is mel, Qt(Pyside)
is Qt.  the Maya C++ API is the Maya C++ Api.  You have to learn what
you need when you need it - and ignore the rest.  Books waste a lot of
time getting you started and installed, it's always 300 of pages of
beginnings.  Unlike Softimage, there isn't this whole world of the COM
layer and collections conversions.  And if you need to google for
example.. there are a hundred more times information out there.  Plus
all the source that ships with the app.