Do you need nebulae, etc?
If its just stars, what about using a static point cloud with spherical /
displaced randomized spheres as shape. Randomize color and transparency per
point?
This would give you the 3d field you are looking for, then perhaps some
fluids to do neb clouds, simulated particles for comets, meteors etc..
Perhaps use the hubble images or comp some stills together to make a bg
cyclo to pull the 3d elements together?

Adam