How does this help when having to transfer weights of many meshes and their points to a coinciding point on a merged mesh?

On Monday, October 27, 2014 10:57:14 AM, Alok Gandhi wrote:
One word - numpy!

Sent from my iPhone

On 27-Oct-2014, at 8:20 pm, Eric Thivierge <ethivie...@hybride.com> wrote:

Hey all,

Running into a problem lately and it's becoming really problematic in
production. I have a rigged model with a ton of meshes (985) which are all
skinned. I have to combine a bunch of these based on predefined groups I've
made.

However it's taking forever to combine and transfer weights. Something like
~26hrs sometimes. That set has 436 objects (small and large volume) with a
total of 161,074 points and 172 deformers.

I'm using the built in Merge command and attribute transfer commands. Does
anyone have a better way to get the weights over? GATOR seems to be using the
same if not an even less efficient method to do the transfer so that's not an
option (I think the default tool uses it anyway). I'm open to using Maya if
someone knows a good tool / script for doing this without having to spend ages
figuring out how to do it.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Eric T.