Sorry, didn't want to give an oversimplified answer,

but I also found this.. (from Mathaeus) using Multithreaded ICE :)

http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1199

a small tut about transferring attributes, even [if] vertex IDs doesn't match, but some parts of geometries still are on 'identical' positions.

It's usable when ever you want to work on only a part of object - various facial rigs, for example.

It's similar method with GATOR, but it can transfer any type of deformation. From my small experience, it's faster than GATOR.
[...]