I just found out about this feature:

Toogle faces from Bonus tools <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=389jv0k0hlE>

I wonder why they didn't add a simple "isolate selected faces from the
scene" function, which I will appreciate more...
For me the workflow described is the opposite I use inside Soft, where I
simply select the faces I want to see and press Isolate...

I guess that for weight paint this feature is comfortable ( hide unwanted
faces ), but in general I find the workflow sometimes to be the opposite of
what I want to do and its a bit frustrating...

Anyway I was shocked to find out about the bonus tools...its a kind of
small list of script addons to Maya itself, and its really confusing when
you're looking for something specific...
New UI looks pretty nifty and I appreciate the new features, but I'm still
not totally comfortable with the workflow, mainly because of the "inverse"
workflow I need to apply...
Also, when going back and forth from Soft to Maya the S key is a pain, I
always end up having keyframes all over the place :-D