Back in the day...
http://www.3dstorm.com/archives/stories/fr/community/lightwave/jeannel/jeannel_1.html

Eeer, for the unfolding, I'm just looking a way to do it overal. I started
looking at the LW tut, but it was on my cell phone... I also looked at some
method on Houdini which get me looking at some tuts, various tuts, very
various... ... I builded some VEX grid of points, and now I have a fluid
simulation running on  my laptop ^^; ...Polygons are still not unfolding
though haha !