> On 22 Feb 2017, at 16:00, Tim Bolland <tim_boll...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I'm going to echo that sentiment, if I'm just building a mesh or character
> like I would in say Softimage by pulling points and editing topology. At some
> point I don't want these edits to be live and I would freeze it down to the
> raw point data. Much faster to work

You just described the normal issue, having things live is slower… freezing is
there to keep inside the scene that data in static form… exactly like locking
the asset or saving to disk. The later has the benefit that your scene will e
super fast to load/transfer… hello cloud rendering!!

> with and there's no messy construction history.

Nothing stops you from put it in a safe place so you don’t see it or delete it
if you want although soon enough you will realise it is better to just live it
there.

> Heck I sometimes even freeze ICE clouds if I really just need point positions.

Same thing.

> I realise that you can lock in Houdini, but does this just cache the whole
> tree above with all it's inputs still theoretically available?

No, just the result of the “cook”, so it is just the end result of the network
up to that point.

> If so then is the only way to recreate the Softimage freeze is to export then
> import the geo?

It is more efficient… imagine you save to disk a result of a long process that
is 1Gb… and you have 100 versions of the scene.

If you save to disk you use 1Gb on disk…
If you lock you save 100 times 1Gb on disk…

:-)

> Surely they can add functionality for this without having to write a script.

The point is that you won’t want to freeze like you do in soft, it really does
not make sense in Houdini world.

I hope it helps
jb