I think Matt Estela summed up Houdini most succinctly for me. He said
'loosely' at a fundamental level everything in Houdini comes down to the
manipulation of attributes on points. It's all about wrangling the data.

I'm sure most people on this list know his site but for those that don't
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=HoudiniGettingStarted is a
fantastic resourse for those making the transistion over to Houdini from
another DCC such as Maya. It reads almost as a diary of Matt's conversion
to the Houdini way of things. :)