> Houdini is an amazing software, I just don't understand why I can't
> collapse nodes, I think every DCC can do that, simplify things when
> necessary.

I understand exactly what you're asking but I think it goes against a
fundamental principle of the Houdini UX design. It's built to be fully
fully procedural and has long shaken of the reputation of only being the
thing you turn to for destruction and suchlike. The are a multitude of ways
to freeze and collapse your trees for a simplified view. It just doesn't
mirror the Maya/Max/XSI way of doing things.

Try to adapt to the Houdini design premise rather than attempting to force
it to be like Maya/Max/XSI, your journey will be far smoother.

But hey, maybe Houdini isn't for you., that's cool too, that are plenty of
other options out there.