This is a really interesting discussion and covers thoughts from all
angles. There is an element to the discussion of technical types telling
the rest of us we just need to "git gud" which is a bit disheartening
though. (It's disheartening not because it's patronising but because the
only way to use Houdini is to master it at fairly high technical level
which will exclude a number of people, myself included). I understand that
there is a technical learning curve to any piece of software but Houdini is
a different beast to the other big three (Max, Maya, eXSI). You can drop a
Maya artist in XSI and tell them to achieve a task and they'll do it -
maybe not the most efficient way, but a way that works. I don't feel that's
the same in Houdini. There's too much "well, nobody really models in
Houdini" or "you can, but nobody really animates in Houdini". That's not
necessarily bad, Zbrush is probably the "best" software on the market in
terms of expectations to results but it's clear about it's narrow focus.

To put it in a personal way, I've worked to some level in 3DS Max, Maya,
Lightwave and XSI. I wouldn't consider myself particularly artistically
gifted or technically proficient but I am good at understanding the needs
of a non-technical person (eg art-director), drawing up a list of
requirements and achieving them, getting support from concept artists are
pipeline TD's if needed. XSI was* the software that allowed me to go the
furthest independently (*was because I've had to move to Maya). I would
love to replace that and Houdini appears to be a good fit but I'm not sure.
Maybe the "uber-nodes" you're discussing are anathematic to Houdini's
overall workflow but would be streamline the on-boarding process. XSI was
excellent at getting people into the software and then allowing you to get
into the more complex bits on your own; although ICE was the main weapon in
my arsenal, it's possible to work for years without ever touching it.