> spamcop has a way of marking domains innocent, but you'd need to send in a
> report on the domain to be able to use it...

I would like to here more about this.  I haven't seen anything about this
anywhere.  I also wouldn't know what it was about until now, so perhaps I
sew it and it when right by.

> how would you verify it? (looking for something quick, easy and automated
> here...)
>
> if we're only discussing domains that are _owned_ by the user rather than
> just used, then i can see that would be slightly more practical... but
most
> users don't own domains...

I agree it would be harder for a subweb.  This may need some work.  How is
this verified in the option above?  Perhaps a variation letter like are you
sure this is your website?

> if the message mentions (for example) www.whitehouse.gov or
> www.microsoft.com, it's up to you to work out whether the message really
> came from the whitehouse or from microsoft... if it didn't, then you
> shouldn't report those URLs, 'cause they're not owned by the spammer...
that
> much shouldn't be difficult to determine, and that's only the level at
which
> you're being asked to consider things...
>
> i recently got a spam which mentioned www.geocities.com as well as
something
> like www.geocities.com/getpornnow/enter.html - it doesn't take a lot of
> knowledge to work out that www.geocities.com is not controlled by the
> spammer, but www.geocities.com/getpornnow/enter.html might well be...
>
> email addresses can be harder to guess (and they're less likely to be
real,
> which is why they start off unchecked), but in general you can "follow the
> money"... if a spammer provides an email address as the only means of
> contacting them for more info or to purchase, then it's likely to be a
real
> address... if the address isn't essential to the purpose of the spam, then
> you'd probably want to ignore it...

 This is very tough for me.  I look at this stuff and don't have a clue most
of the time.  I could never make all of the assumption you made here and be
sure I did the right thing.

Paul Coleman


_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help

Reply via email to