>This usually means that the firmware didn't load. Did it load? Did the
>right LED flash eight or nine times and then stays green?

No, it flashs only 1 time and stays than green

>Are you using hotplug or udev to load the firmware?

hotplug, and its started correctly:

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
speedtch 2-1:1.0: no stage 1 firmware found!
usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2

>What kernel version are you using?
2.6.15

Above dmesg says that speedtch can't find the stage 1 firmware, but
ls /lib/firmware/ returns
speedtch-1.bin  speedtch-2.bin

And before my last reboot the modem worked correctly...
Thanks for your help!
Any other ideas?

Greets from Italy
 Max