John...

Nice to hear from someone from my original home town.  I lived in Fair
Haven as a very young boy (across from the fire station) and both my
siblings born in your fine city. Anyway...

A good point on the 150 psi thing....but that can be addressed.  I
usually do the first round of calcs based on 150 psi.  If it does not
work, and I have to go higher, I do and then specify that the placard by
the FDC indicate the required pump pressure.  Regardless, I always talk
to the FD as well as they have the authority to place the FDC...so I
share the info with them.  What they choose to do with it is really
their problem.

That said, as a fireground officer myself, I don't like automatically
pumped standpipes in large part because I want to control pressures.  If
my guys want to use a straight stream nozzle, I only want about 50-60
psi at the tip of my line. Some quick math of 5 psi per story and a
radio message to the pump operator and poof, I can have pressures where
I want them at the floor I am actually on.

If you were on a lower floor with a 2'1/2 line at 170 psi...ouch!!  Yes
you can throttle it a bit with the valves on the standpipe or the nozzle
when it is flowing but when you shut down to reposition the entire hose
becomes a steel rod that is next to impossible to move, particularly if
you need to mover around corners.

As always in this business, there is good and bad...the key issue is to
be sure that when you perform your design and or propose code language
that you are not providing a solution in search of an actual problem.  

Paul Sincaglia, P.E.
Firesafety Solutions, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John
Drucker
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: pump tricks

Paul,

The ICC issued IFC/IBC Interpretation 33-03 on 08/16/04 with regards to
IBC
905.3.1 Exception 1 which concurs with your conclusion.

The interp is available on line at;
http://www2.iccsafe.org/cs/interps/pdf/BU_00_53_03.pdf

One thing needs addressing however and that's FDC delivery pressure.
Many of
not most FD SOG's provide for a 150 psi feed pressure. 

John Drucker
Fire Protection Subcode Official (AHJ)
New Jersey 

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Sincaglia
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 5:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: pump tricks

OK...

I have to say that I have learned a thing or two in this thread...but
for most of it I keep thinking like a code consultant......somebody tell
me I am wrong but....

IBC requires a Class III standpipe for buildings over 30 ft above the
lowest level of FD access.  Since the building is sprinklered, the Class
III requirement is now a Class I requirement due to the IBC exception
#1.

Now, at 6 stories, the walking surface (floor level) of the 6th floor is
almost always less than 75 ft above the lowest level of FD access....a
non high rise.

Now you go to NFPA 14 5.4 permits manual standpipes for this type of
installation...even if in combination with a sprinkler system (See NFPA
14 7.7.3).  The only "automatic" requirement in the building code is for
Group A occupancies and NFPA 14 only requires it for high rises

Bottom line, you can rely on the FD pumper to provide adequate pressure
to the top floor....not your fire sprinkler system fire pump.  This
usually reduces the size of the fire pump considerably and eliminates
the issue of having a pump capable of providing min 100 psi at 750-1000
gpm some 65 ft. up while still maintaining system pressure below 175 at
the lowest levels at churn.

Am I missing something here?  I will not say that this logic always
works as site conditions can make this a closer call.  But an FD pumper
pumping at 175 psi should have no trouble overcoming the 65 ft (30 psi)
elevation loss and any friction losses with some room to spare.

Paul Sincaglia, P.E.



_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to